Sunday, July 03, 2005

Movie tickets

Don't you hate how movie tickets are the same high price, no matter which movie it is? I've had an idea now for a while which, if I were the entrepreneur type, I'd build a theater and put into practice. My idea is a variable-price ticket system. Right now your options for seeing a particular movie are to pay full price ($7.50-$8.00), catch it at the $1.50 theater, or rent it at Blockbuster ($4.50). If you're like us, we'd like to see some things on the big screen, but full price is expensive, and the $1.50 theater is quite a long drive away. I think theaters should vary the price of a ticket according to the newness and popularity of the movie. By doing so, I think they'd make more money.

Example: Star Wars 3 comes out. I'd suggest charging $10-12 tickets for the first week or so, since in a free-market system, those who want to see it will pay (definitely not Daniel & Alexa). Then after the first week, lower to $8. Now you might be within the price range of some more folks who wanted to see it on the big screen (still not Daniel & Alexa). After a 2-3 weeks, lower it to $5. Now other folks will come who wouldn't have come if it were a higher price - thereby bringing more revenue for the theater. AND Daniel & Alexa would only have to pay $5 tickets and only wait a few weeks. I know there are complications with the way the theater has to kick back ticket sales to the production company, yada yada, but the production companies should play along and make this work. It's better for all involved. Except Blockbuster perhaps, but they need a kick in the pants.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:07:00 AM, Blogger DC said...

That is totally random that you actually knew where the foxes came from. Thanks for the trivia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home