Tuesday, September 25, 2007

P.S.

I do it. You probably do too. I still think it's strange. Why do we put a P.S. in an email? It makes sense in a handwritten letter, since you've already concluded your writing and signed your name. You can't just go back and add a sentence or two. Thus the need for a postscript. But in an email, you can simply click back in the text and add in your forgotten text.

I think it's because the ideas contained in a P.S. have taken on a feel of their own. There are certain things that we generally feel should be put into a postscript. For instance, a small bit of trivia that doesn't really fit into the body of what you were writing in the email. Or a short response to a question that was asked in the original email to which you are replying. Maybe putting it in the body of the email would be appropriate, but it would look weird since it would be basically a one-word paragraph. And so the P.S. lives on in the electronic age.

Is this too much thought given to something so trivial? Yes. Is it the way my brain works? Yes.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, September 29, 2007 11:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

basicly, I use a P.S. because I do not want to go back and insert..guess you call that lazy, but I've done it..however, if it is something I should have remembered to put in the body (i.e. an answer to something important or a comment about what someone has said), I will go back in the body of my email...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home