Monday, November 28, 2005

There and back again, a Thanksgiving story

Well, break's over - back to work. Thanksgiving was nice. We spent Thanksgiving Day here in Durham and had the Meal with my family at my sister's house. Went to Charlotte Friday morning through some pleasantly light interstate traffic (everyone must have been shopping) and spent most of the weekend with the Masons. To avoid the post-Thanksgiving traffic on I-85 this year we took the back highways up to Durham. Not too bad, still made it in 3 hours. It's also a bit more of an interesting drive than the monotonous interstates.

This morning I had a nice "welcome back" from my truck by way of a dead battery. Well, jumping it from our other car wouldn't have been much of an issue except that I do the park and ride at work. I time my departure from the house to put me there when the bus comes through. I had a few minutes to spare, so I thought if I hurried, I could still make the bus. Pulled the jumper cables out, started up the Honda, hooked up the jumper cables, realized I needed my keys to start the truck, went back inside the Honda, slipped my truck ignition key off the ring, went over and started the truck, looking good, very quick job Daniel, remove the cables, close both hoods, jump in the truck and take off. Leaving the other car running. Yea. Head slap #1. Of course, I don't realize it till I park my truck, go to turn it off, and realize that I only have one key. "Whoops", I said, "must have left the keys in the Honda and left it running. Guess I'll have to call Alexa and tell her to cut it off". While I'm thinking this, I'm turning off the truck, getting out, shutting and locking the doors. Only then did I realize that I only have the truck ignition key in my hand. Head slap #2. There's a separate key to open the door and it's swinging in the Honda.

My dear wife had to drive out in the afternoon and bring me my keys. She still managed to have time to make some kickin' soup for dinner. And as of tonight, my truck has a new battery.

6 Comments:

At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! Oh wow.. oh wow.. ok. First thing: your title for the entry is wicked awesome. Second thing:... just.. wow Daniel.. lol Third thing: she made kickin' soup eh? Good woman! ;-)

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe.. it submitted before I was done saying who I am.. so I am now officially "li"

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:10:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

And do you know what the title is a take-off of?

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:11:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

Well, "li" IS a lot easier to type...

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya know, it really is!

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

psshhht of course I know what the title is a take-off of! What do you take me for?! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home