Friday, February 03, 2006

Taxes

We just finished doing our taxes. Yea, we're nerds. We actually sort of look forward to the process. Couldn't really explain why - it's just that bit of weirdness that makes us a couple. After finishing (the first time), we appeared to owe about $300. After realizing some math errors, we appear to be receiving a refund of $600. Here's the kicker: it's hard to be mad at that result, but I should be. If you think about it, I let Uncle Sam have an interest-free loan last year. That's not good. That's not good. Maybe if I just keep saying it.

Last year, we used tax software for the first time. It worked ok, but we kept trying to follow what it was doing, what it was putting on each form, etc. I estimated that we spent as much time keeping an eye on the software's calculations as we would have just doing it by hand. So, this year we're back to doing it by hand. You could ask why I don't just punch the numbers into the software, let it do its thing, and not worry about it? I could....but that wouldn't be me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home