Tuesday, April 11, 2006

10543, 10544, 10545...

Throughout the course of my education and experience in the traffic world, I've run across some things which I think are interesting tidbits. I'll try to share them with you from time to time.

Here's one. Ever seen those black tubes that are stretched across a road? Even if you don't see them, you might hear the bump as you drive over them. You may have assumed, correctly, that your vehicle was just counted.

Before I knew how they worked, I always thought that compressing the tube somehow made two wires touch and that's how the cars were counted. What actually happens is that the tube is just a hollow rubber tube that is tied in a knot at one end and the other end is connected to a counter, shown in the picture here with Mr. Traffic Counter Guy. When your tire rolls on the tube, it compresses the air inside the tube and causes a "puff" at the counter. The counter has a sensor for this puff and uses it to count the cars. Of course, you have to divide the total by two, to account for the front and back tires.

Here in NC, there is a specific unit in the Department of Transportation that regularly counts the traffic on most of the roads throughout the state. They provide these counts on big maps in the form of Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT). This information is used in many ways, such as deciding which roads get repaved and which intersections get upgrades like traffic lights. Another use is here in the traffic safety research world, where we take the total number of crashes on a particular road and divide it by the AADT to look at the crash rate per vehicle.

So, anything on the roads you've been wondering about?

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always kinds figured it was something as simples as that. Seemed like it worked the same way as the bell for curb side pick-up at grocery stores.
Want to know what my question is? Why is 601S so deadly? It's a straight shot! We have rescuers telling locals to drive back roads only so they have to "save" fewer lives.

Anna Banana

 
At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:17:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

I'm not very familiar with 601 south. I've driven it before, but it's been a while. There could be a multitude of reasons why that many crashes are occurring there. If it's that bad, the district engineer should really be paying attention to it.

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:41:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

I'll have to do a post soon on traffic signal detectors.

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was interesting. And, yes, do one on those traffic light detectors. I want to know how many times I have to go back and forth to trip it.
Debbie

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn all them 18 wheelers making it look like 4 1/2 cars just went through.

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

Yea, you have to assume some percentage of heavy vehicles and use that as an adjustment to whatever count you get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home