Friday, March 24, 2006

Where were you?

On the note from the previous post, do you remember where you were on Sept 11 when you heard the news of the planes crashing into the towers? And how you heard the news?

I was working lawn care at the time. I had just arrived at the house of someone off Colony Road and was unloading the equipment. The lady of the house came out to go to her car and said, "I can't believe you're working with all that's going on." I hadn't heard anything so I asked her about it. "Someone just flew a plane into a building in New York", she said. Not until later did I learn more details and realize the impact of what had happened. Little did I know at the time about how much that day would change our country.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was working an inventory in Gastonia. They had a small TV in the break room and I kept on going back to watch more hoping that it wasn't true.

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at my previous job. It was my wedding anniversary to my ex-husband. We were in the middle of a plant safety meeting and we got word. We turned on the tv and watched the whole thing play out. I decided to leave my husband that day too.

Anna Banana

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:13:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

Whoa. Dumb question, but I'm guessing the 9/11 events and the husband issue were unrelated?

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Blogger DC said...

Ok, so it appears y'all were the only ones to hear about 9/11...

 
At Friday, March 31, 2006 4:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a little unrelated. It was his attitude that broke the camels back...

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 11:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just beginning the day with my class of 5th graders, when Pam knocked on our door with the news of the first plane, then quickly the second plane...then the news of the Pentagon...One of my student's dad was working in the Pentagon at the time..so needless to say, we were on pins and needles until we heard he was safe..The whole school was on lock down, since no one knew the extent of this caliber of attack..
It was sobering and very sad to me when it hit me that my daughter turned 21 that very day...I called the kids and my husband..family was everything.

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sitting in the 3rd floor administrative office at D.H. Hill Library doing "busy work" that keeps the office organized-- I was sitting alone in the breakroom filing when the office got unusually silent. After a while of not seeing a single person, a quiet murmuring began as life filtered back into the floor, expressions of disbelief.. shock, and of all things, numbness. Horror would follow later, once the ladies could actually comprehend what happened.

I couldn't leave my seclusion, I felt "Perhaps if I just don't move, If I remain silent and still for long enough.. someone will come in and wake me up from this nightmare." I kept trying to tell myself the things I've overheard were a misunderstanding.. perhaps a horrible novel or show I had missed the night before--anything to grasp onto that would tell me I was wrong.

Eventually they remembered their little work-study back in the breakroom, and almost whispered to me what happened. Told me I was free to leave the office early.

I then wandered through an abandoned brickyard to the lab at D.H. Hill to try and log on the internet for details, but the websites were inaccessible for the most part. I tried to call my family on our cell phones, but the systems were busy.

I made my way to Talley for lunch that my stomach would not let me eat, and stared over it along with a crowd of silent students and workers at the t.v.'s to watch the replays.. over and over... and over still.. maybe it will change, maybe the next replay would be different.

Everything was so silent. The cloud over the university was almost tangible..

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*correction, change lab at D.H. Hill to lab at Harrelson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home