Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Road Happenings

I think some of the best stories come from things you see while driving. Here are two recent ones for me:

Story 1
Yesterday morning while driving to work, I was waiting at a stoplight. From left to right on the cross street comes a city trash truck. On fire. No joke, right at the very top of the truck, there was a small section in flames. The driver had no idea, he just kept driving down the road. I couldn't catch the guy, so I just kept driving to work. I don't think I've ever been as shocked or laughed so hard in the morning.

Story 2
We were leaving the Target parking lot a couple nights ago. I was looking at an adjacent stoplight where two cars were trying to make turns from opposite directions both onto the main road. One was turning right, and the car facing him was turning left - the same direction. They were both going moderately fast toward each other, but slammed on brakes. I thought, hmm, that was close. Then, they both started up, lurched forward, and smacked into each other. I left there thinking that had to be the most avoidable collision I've ever seen.

Anybody got any good road stories?

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a few driving stories. You've heard the one about the backflipping squirrel a thousand times so here are some new ones.
I too have an "avoidable collision" story. It was right after the rain so the roads were still slick. I said to my passenger, "someone is probably going to have a wreck here". Three seconds later a pickup rear-ended another car. Uneventful in and of itself but it all happened right in front of a cop who was waiting to make a turn.
The second would have made a great picture to post on internet. I was waiting to go straight through an intersection and saw a red flag sticking up for all to see. There was a man in an electric wheel chair waiting to make a left turn onto Independence Boulevard.

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are about the funniest things I ever heard...You just have to shake your head and laugh...

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can`t think of one right now but thanks for lightening the day with these stories. You might consider starting a journal for these.

 
At Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Homer Simpson were driving one of the two cars in Story 2, you probably would have heard a loud "Doh!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home