Thursday, July 27, 2006

To Vote or Not To Vote

While listening to the radio last night, I heard an question that I thought was interesting. It's something that I think people on the same side politically could disagree on. The general question was this: "Should there be eligibility requirements for voting?" This radio discussion was putting forth the opinion that many citizens are ignorant of social, economic, and political issues and therefore have no business voting on such issues. Only those who are informed should be able to make the decisions. Another related point made was that people who are "sucking at the governmental teat" (ie, receiving public funds somehow) should not be allowed to vote.

What is your thought on voting eligibility? I mean it as the general idea, not just the specifics put forth here. I wanna hear your gut reaction and any more thought-out answer you might have. They might be different. Phrase your answer as such:
GUT REACTION:
THOUGHT-OUT ANSWER:

Whenever I put questions like this, they don't usually get much response, so you "regular commenters" have to play along with my audience survey here. You know who you are (Mom, Anna, MIKE, Marshall, Andrea). Oh yeah. I called you out.

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 31, 2006 8:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I've been called out I'm answering.
Gut reaction: That sounds like a great idea especially after seeing Jay Leno or David Letterman's street polls of all the people who couldn't name the men on their currency. Standardized political knowledge testing might work for voter eligibility. There could even be a prep class for it. Prep classes on public speaking and microphone awareness could have prevented some comical moments in the current administration.

Thought out:
I think it's a great idea in the theoretical realm. Knowledge would equal power. Just think of all the knowledgeable but radical politicos you can find on the average college campus. The Independent and Socialist parties would have their day. Knowing a candidates standing on the issues is the beginning. I'd also like to have a list of what corporations own a candidate as part of the voting process as well. How did all those Haliburton employees get in Iraq anyway?

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gut reaction: Qualifying voters may make for a more intelligent vote, but I'm afraid it would lead to a cast system politically..My thought would be better and more concise overviews of issues..Often the media,including the newspaper, does a poor job of informing..Since I work the polls each year, I am impressed with the knowledge many of our voters have..I, on the other hand, go in rather clueless,though I try to read up..What I would like is clarity of issues. The surveys they print about candidates are at best sketchy, and very little is done concerning bond issues and proposals..Voting is a civic responsibility and a privilege, but it isn't taken seriously for the most part..And the cost is phenomenal...Don't get me started there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home