et cetera, et alia, et tu?
I just had to look up the usage and proper pronunciation of "et al." for a lit review I'm working on. I just thought I'd share what I found and expand your knowledge today.
Etc. et al. In strict usage, et cetera (and the rest) is neuter and so can refer only to things, and et alia (and others) can refer only to persons. Do not end a list of persons with etc.; instead, use and others. Using etc. at the end of a list introduced by for example, such as, or a similar expression is also incorrect. (Note: A comma is required after etc. unless it ends the sentence. Also note that et does not require a period but al. does; et is a word, al. is an abbreviation.)
See the University of Minnesota Style Manual for other such know-how.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home